This time-honored Mexican breakfast is perfect for a weekend morning. Our huevos rancheros recipe elevates the classic to another level of delicious.
What you'll need:
- About 4 cups of Cocina Fresca Mild Salsa
- 6 bacon slices
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 8 corn or small flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 8 eggs
- Sliced avocado or sour cream (optional)
How to make it:
- Set a large skillet over medium heat. Lay the bacon slices flat in the pan. Cook for 5 minutes until slices are deeply browned on one side and begin to curl up.
- Using a fork, turn the slices over and cook for another 3 minutes until browned and most of the fat is rendered.
- Transfer to a plate covered with paper towels to absorb drippings. When cool enough to handle, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide pieces.
- Pour off all but 2 teaspoons of the bacon fat from the pan and return to medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender and translucent, scraping up any tiny bacon bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the Cocina Fresca Salsa, chopped bacon, water, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon of the salt to the pan. Stirring well, adjust the heat so the sauce simmers, then cook another 10 minutes. It should look like a thick, chunky sauce. If it appears too dry, add 2 more tablespoons of water.
- Add half the cilantro and stir.
- Crack the eggs into the sauce, spacing them evenly in the pan, and sprinkle a generous pinch of salt over the top. Cover and simmer the eggs, adjusting the heat as needed, until done to your liking.
- While the eggs are cooking, heat the tortillas in another skillet over high heat, quickly warming each side.
- When the eggs are done, scatter the cheese and the remaining cilantro on top. Serve right from the pan by spooning an egg and plenty of sauce onto a tortilla with avocado or sour cream, if desired.